Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Return of The Coffee Guy (me) - Trusteeship Hearing - Part 2, Day 2

Observations from the Trusteeship Hearing – Day 2

Day 2 of the trusteeship hearing started much like any other day. I jumped out of bed, began to get ready to go work, and realized that I was not going in today. So I quietly went back to sleep…

..well, until about 7:30 am anyway. Then it was time to dress and hustle over to the hearing registration area. I wanted to make sure that I would be able to enter the hearing room.

Next, I went back over to my hotel for breakfast with the other UHW members. No big deal today, sausage (no eggs!) pancakes, assorted fruit, and pastries. And no water! OK, I guess I’ve become used to bigger spreads. I won’t complain. Much. But no water…

Back at the lobby outside the hearing, the mood was relaxed. Most of us were hoping that the day would move along with a better pace than on Wednesday.

Things started out slowly. Testimony by UHW staff, members and others with expert knowledge was presented, cross-examination was performed, and for most of the day things were very ho-hum. The big question of the day seemed to be “what was your thought process?” From the faces of those around me, we were seriously looking to stick this process out. If they were looking for us to get tired and leave, it wasn’t gonna happen.

As I was having lunch, I thought back to the events of yesterday afternoon. I was especially moved by the testimony (and the very presence) of Ms. Dolores Huerta, one of the founders of the United Farm Workers. She entered the room to a standing ovation, spoke softly and eloquently, commanded the attention of everyone, and left to another standing ovation.

We finished the afternoon’s hearing events on a high note – I was awake for all of it, even!

I can not wait for tomorrow…

Your humble blogging servant,

Joe Thomas
Woodland Healthcare

Here's my entry from day 1...

From the Eye of the Fly… Trusteeship Hearing, Day 1

Arriving at the San Jose Marriot, the first thing that I noticed was how very small the hearing room was. Wow. Just enough room for about 67 people. Since I was about 30 minutes late, I was told that I would be unable to enter the hearing room. In fact, I heard that there was a room at the civic center that was showing the hearing via video feed. One member of the event staff told me that if I waited, someone might come out who will be willing to pass their registration badge for me to gain entry.

Forty-five minutes later I was able to finally enter the hearing room.

The folks in the room represented the diversity of our wonderful union. Folks of all ages, races, cultures, etc. - all very interested in just what the heck all the fuss was. Some were very upset about the fact that we even had to be going through this process. Others just want to see if maybe, just maybe there was anything to the allegations. There were even a few who appeared to be pro-Tyrone Freeman and were very skeptical about everything and everyone.

Soon after I settled in, I noticed that SEIU’s legal team was questioning one of our Administrative Vice Presidents. I believe that they were having a great deal of trouble with their paperwork – it seemed as if they really did not have their game together.

The highlight of the day for me (and many of the others who know a little about the history of the labor movement) was the testimony of Ms. Dolores Huerta, a founder of the United Farm Workers. She is, in the opinion of this humble blogger, a Hall of Fame- type labor leader. She spoke eloquently and positively about the work of UHW and on Sal Roselli, our UHW President. She received a standing ovation both walking into and leaving the room.

Most of the people that I spoke to during the breaks felt that the SEIU side was just sort of reaching for something to stick, and were somewhat frustrated. The UHW legal team seemed to be much better prepared and just a bit sharper.

The day ended right about 6PM.

I’ll make sure that I’m at the head of the line for tomorrow’s proceedings…and I’ll also tell you all about what they are feeding us (my co-workers at Woodland Healthcare -Fontana, Dasani and Kit-Kat will want to know about this). This is it for the day for me.

In Solidarity,

Joe Thomas
Woodland Healthcare

No comments: